Tuesday, May 11, 2010

How do you feel about student/faculty relationships in a college setting?

Ah, well ok. If you are talking about relationships of a more ';personal nature,'; I'll share my story. I'm a graduate student now. When I was an undergraduate student, I dated one of my professors probably a year after I took his class. Granted, I never would have dated him when I was taking his class and wasn't interested in him in the slightest when actually taking his class. He was, however, interested in me. I had the 2nd highest grade in a class of over 100 and still got a B in the class (the man did NOT curve grades at all)! It did not effect his judgment when it came to my grade, and I did not really hold it against him when we were dating. I think it's acceptable if the student is not taking the professor's class, and if the professor and student are willing to accept responsibilities for what my transpire. For instance, the professor would like to break up, while the student does not wish to...and therefore the student decides to trash the professor to hurt him/her professionally. The reverse could also happen. As for me and my professor, we are still friends. There was no trashing of reputation (professionally or personally) on either end--but I am not naive enough to think this is the case for all professor/student relationships. There are many, many negative outcomes of a possible professor/ student relationship, but I don't think the university should be in charge of regulating them necessarily. The two individuals involved in the relationship are adults and should ultimately be responsible for any outcomes--positive or negative. College students are no longer children, and should not need to be protected from relationships with professors. Just my opinion though. If you'd like MORE of my opinion, just e-mail me...I've always got more to say! Good evening!





*Oh, and let me be clear-- I believe that students should not take a professor's class if they are romantically involved....too much conflict of interest. And there was NOT a set policy on it on my campus....one of our professors MARRIED one of his students.How do you feel about student/faculty relationships in a college setting?
I'm flattered by your offer -- but I prefer women.How do you feel about student/faculty relationships in a college setting?
I don't think it's a problem unless a student is in a faculty member's class at the time. It may be problematic for the faculty member than the student. Typically these relationships occur when a student is in a professor's class. Other than that, I don't have an issue with it.
There is a policy in the faculty handbook at my university. A professor may not have relations with a student currently in one of his/her courses or if the professor has direct influence over the student in any other academic circumstance. Other than that, student/faculty relationships are allowed.





I, personally, feel that this policy is adequate. I feel that student/facutly relationships are just fine within these parameters. Love can be found everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment